Two explosions occurred near Somalia’s interior ministry and security forces were battling gunmen inside, police said Saturday, as the al-Shabab extremist group claimed responsibility for the ongoing attack in Mogadishu.
Gunfire could be heard amid reports that a number of people, mostly government workers, were trapped in the ministry on what had been a normal business day.
The attack began Saturday morning when a suicide car bomber detonated at the gate of the interior ministry, which is close to the presidential palace and the headquarters of parliament, police Captain Mohamed Hussein said.
Three gunmen were believed to be holed up inside the ministry as shooting could be heard in the background, the Associated Press reported quoting Hussein.
Ambulance sirens echoed across the area as soldiers opened fire to disperse bystanders and motorists.
The Somalia-based al-Shabab, an arm of al-Qaida, often targets high-profile areas of the capital.
It was blamed for the October truck bombing that killed more than 500 people in the deadliest attack in the country’s history.
The ongoing threat from what has become the deadliest Islamic extremist group in sub-Saharan Africa has hurt efforts to strengthen Somalia’s fragile government and stabilise the long-chaotic Horn of Africa nation.
The United States under the Trump administration has stepped up military efforts in Somalia, including dozens of drone strikes, against al-Shabab and a small presence of fighters linked to the Islamic State group. At least two US military personnel have been killed.
The US military and others in the international community have expressed concern about the plan for Somalia’s security forces to take over the country’s security from a multinational African Union force over the next few years, saying the local troops are not yet ready.
© 2017 - All Rights with The Financial Express