The Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (ECNEC) Tuesday approved a project for construction of elevated expressway from Lalkhan Bazar to Shah Amanat Airport in Chittagong.
The total cost of the project will be at a cost of over Tk 32.50 billion, as per a BSS report.
The approval was given at weekly ECNEC meeting at the NEC conference room in Dhaka with the body’s Chairperson and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in the chair.
Planning Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal, while briefing reporters after the meeting, said the meeting approved a total of nine projects involving over Tk 6 3.93 billion.
Of the total cost, around Tk 59.01 billion will come from the government exchequer, Tka 4.30 billion from project assistance while Tk 570.3 million will come from own fund of the organisations concerned, said Kamal.
He said the 16.05 kilometres long expressway will create smooth communication system between Chittagong city and its southern part which will ease traffic jam in the port city.
The government will bear the entire cost for the project and it will be implemented from July 2017 to June 2020, he added.
Kamal said the Prime Minister sent back a project relating to Jagannath University and she asked the authorities concerned to take up a comprehensive plan for the development of the university. She also asked them to find out land within the next seven days.
He said the rate of ADP implementation in the just outgoing fiscal year (2016-17) was higher compared to other fiscal years in the past.
Other projects are:
• Panchdona-Danga-Ghorashal Rasak Unnayan Islampur Kheyaghat Project (Tk 8.65 billion)
• Water supply and environmental sanitation system development project in three municipalities in Jamalpur district (Tk768.5 million)
• Bangladesh Power System Reliability and Efficiency Improvement Project (Tk 5.80 billion)
• Re-excavation of Arial Khan river, Haridoa river, Brahmaputra river, Paharia river, branches of Meghna and old Brahmaputra rivers (Tk 5billion)
• Protection and development of Simanta river (Tk 4.67 billion)
• Agricultural Census 2018 project (Tk 3.39 billion)
• Construction of Paikgachha Agricultural College in Khulna (Tk 1.02 billion)
• Improving the capacity of the Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences in Dhaka, Chittagong, Rajshahi, Khulna, Sylhet, Dinajpur and Rangpur (Tk 2.13 billion).
© 2017 - All Rights with The Financial Express