Fire guts 200 shops at Mymensingh hawkers’ market

Published: June 07, 2018 10:54:01 | Updated: June 08, 2018 11:39:37


At least 200 shops were gutted in a devastating fire that broke out at the hawkers' market in Ganginapar area of Mymensingh district town early Thursday.

Fire Service sources said the fire originated from electric short circuit at a shop around 6:45 am and soon engulfed the adjoining shops.

On information, eight fire-fighting units rushed in and extinguished the blaze after two and half hours of frantic efforts, reports UNB.

The fire fighters have to struggle a lot to extinguish the blaze as there are no sources of water near the market, said Al Amin, additional superintendent of Mymensingh Police.

Witnesses said black smoke came out from the market creating panic among people.

Valuables including shoes, clothes and cosmetics were gutted by the fire, they said.

However, no causality was reported as the shop owners and salesman went to their residence after closing all the business establishments at the dead of night.

The affected shop owners claimed that the fire gutted valuables worth of millions of Taka as many traders piled up their goods-stock at the shops ahead of Eid.

Share if you like