As many as 18 houses were gutted in a major fire in Sonaichhari union of Sitakunda district, officials said on Saturday.
Fortunately, no casualties were reported.
The fire broke out at a house in the Jele Bari west area of Fakirhat in Sonaichhari union around 3am on Saturday and soon engulfed other adjacent houses, said Nurul Karim, a resident of the area, reports UNB.
On information, two fire tenders from Kumira Fire Station reached the spot and brought the blaze under control after an effort of one and a half hours.
Sultan Mahmud, station officer of Kumira Fire Service, said, "We suspect the fire started from an electrical short-circuit. However, it's not possible to immediately assess the extent of damage caused by the fire has caused."