UK prosecutors drop charges against ex-police chief over Hillsborough crush

Published: August 21, 2018 16:53:08 | Updated: August 23, 2018 20:09:33


A former British police chief constable accused of lying over his role in the 1989 Hillsborough soccer stadium crush in which 96 fans died will no longer face any charges, prosecutors said on Tuesday, after a review of evidence, according to Reuters.

Norman Bettison had been charged with four offences of misconduct in public office related to his alleged lies about his involvement in the aftermath of the disaster and the culpability of fans.

Prosecutors announced last year that they would bring criminal charges against six people including Bettison and other former police chiefs over the deaths and an alleged subsequent cover-up by police of their own mistakes.

The victims, all Liverpool supporters, died in an overcrowded, fenced-in enclosure at the Hillsborough stadium in Sheffield, northern England, during an FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

Police at first blamed the tragedy on drunken fans, an explanation that was always rejected by survivors, relatives of the victims and the wider Liverpool community. Families spent decades campaigning for justice for the 96.

The Crown Prosecution Service said on Tuesday they had discontinued the case against Bettison following a number of developments.

Share if you like