The government is planning to export around 1 million tonnes of surplus Boro rice after meeting the domestic demand, Agriculture Minister Abdur Razzaque said on Tuesday.
The government will hold a discussion with stakeholders in the next 15 to 20 days after the harvest of the crop to determine whether 0.5 to 1.0 million tonnes of Boro rice can be exported this year, he said.
Abdur Razzaque gave the information at a media briefing on Tuesday at the Secretariat.
Razzaque said that only the surplus rice will be exported to benefit farmers, report bdnews24.com and UNB.
"Rice export won't affect the market. Last year, we produced 1.3 million tonne more than our target," he said, replying to a question.
"Overall, we have about 2 to 2.5 million tonnes of surplus rice each year."
“There won’t be any inconvenience if we export the rice. We’ll be able to enter the international market which will enhance the country’s image.”
It is possible to import rice in case of any problem after the export, said the minister.
There will be an adequate surplus of Boro rice if the yield is managed properly, added Razzaque.
“We can export the surplus after ensuring food security in the country.”
But Razzaque could not provide an exact figure of surplus rice at the briefing.
© 2017 - All Rights with The Financial Express