Eight members of a family, including two children, suffered burns after a fire broke out at their house in Sahebapara of Narayanganj's Siddhirganj upazila early Monday.
The injured are Nurjahan Begum, 60, Kiron Miah, 45, and Hiron Miah, 25, Mukta, 20, Md Abul Hossain, 25, Md Kawser, Lima, 3, and Apon, 10.
They hail from Shibpur upazila of Narsingdi and live on the ground floor of a five-storey building, UNB reported.
Among the injured, Nurjahan and Kiron suffered 70 per cent burns.
Adamjee fire service senior station officer Mohammad Shahjahan said gas accumulation in the victims' flat took place as a gas burner was kept open all the night.
Around 5:30am, one of their relatives, Elias, tried to light a cigarette triggering the fire, said Bachchu Miah, inspector at the DMCH (Dhaka Medical College Hospital) police outpost.
On information, a firefighting unit rushed to the spot and extinguished the fire.
Later, they rescued the injured family members who are currently being treated at the Burn and Plastic Surgery Department of Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH).
© 2020 - All Rights with The Financial Express