Loading...

Explosion on London underground train, passengers flee in panic

Published: September 26, 2017 18:38:19 | Updated: October 22, 2017 20:23:52


Photo: Reuters

An explosion was reported on a London underground train sending passengers fleeing in panic from the District Line of the United Kingdom.

 

Witnesses reported hearing a “loud bang” and seeing smoke after the blast on the District Line service, reports www.dailystar.co.uk.

 

Pictures show a small device in flames while smoke filled the carriage, with reports of an “acid smell”.

 

There are reports from witnesses of up to five people injured in a “stampede” to get off the train.

 

BTP and London Fire Brigade have confirmed the explosion came from a mobile phone charger.

 

Video shows people evacuating the station as alarms ring out through Tower Hill.

 

One witness wrote on Twitter: “Not sure what just happened but on the underground at Tower Hill and someone threw something on the train with it on fire.”

 

Another added: “Just been evacuated from Tower Hill tube station due to a reported emergency. Scary times.”

 

The incident is not believed to be suspicious and comes as Britain remains on edge following botched Tube bombing by ISIS terrorists at Parsons Green.

 

Reporter Murtaza Ali Shah tweeted: "Tower Hill Station closed after a small scale explosion in a bag, passengers fled in panic, injuries and stampede."

 

Transport for London confirmed there are “severe delays”between Barking and Earl’s Court following the incident.

 

Tower Hill station was closed while firefighters and the police swept on the scene. 

 

London Fire Brigade tweeted: "We've dealt with a small explosion on a train at #TowerHill station. It is believed to have been caused by a mobile phone charger.”

 

British Transport Police said: "Incident at Tower Hill station is not suspicious. Fire believed to have been caused by mobile phone charger overheating. @LondonFire.”

 

Last month, armed police were deployed and Euston Station and passengers evacuated after a vape exploded in someone's bag.

Share if you like