The private sector commercial land and water transportations added 10.96 per cent value to the country's Gross Domestic Product (GDP), an official study showed.
The Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS) survey report, unveiled on Monday, said the land and water transport sectors added Tk 1.87 trillion value to the economy.
According to the last survey in 2009, the value addition to the economy by the sector was Tk 1.69 trillion, the BBS statistics showed.
The share of land and water transportations in the country's GDP in last fiscal year (FY), 2019-20, were nearly 8.0 per cent.
The national statistical body disclosed findings of the "Private commercial motorised and non-motorised land and water transportation survey 2019" through a function at its office in Dhaka on Monday.
Statistics and Informatics Division Secretary Mohammad Yamin Chowdhury, BBS Director General Mohammad Tajul Islam, Bangladesh Road Transport Authority (BRTA) Chairman Noor Mohammad Majumder, and BBS Project Director Toafail Ahmed were present in the programme, among others.
The BBS conducted the survey on private commercial motorised and non-motorised transports, including bus, minibus, microbus, taxi, rickshaw, truck, covered-van, tanker, rickshaw-van, launch, trawler, boat and water cargo.
The survey showed that Bangladesh's 3.99 million people are employed in the private sector motorised and non-motorised land and water transportations.
Of them, some 3.3 million or 82.71 per cent are engaged in land transportation sector, and the remaining 0.69 million or 17.29 per cent in water transportation system, the BBS survey found.
Some 2.76 million are employed as drivers, 0.27 million as helpers, 57,000 as supervisors and 32,000 as daily workers on temporary basis with daily wages.
The country had a total of 2.92 million private sector commercial transports in operation on land and waterways.
Of these, a total of 2.66 million or 91.02 per cent transportations are operated on land or road, and the rest 0.26 million or 8.98 per cent in waterways.
According to the latest BBS survey, Bangladesh's private sector commercial motorised and non-motorised transportations need to spend Tk 645 billion for their operations.