The Oxford-Weidenfeld and Hoffmann Scholarships and Leadership Programme

Published :

Updated :

The Weidenfeld-Hoffmann Scholarships and Leadership Programme aims to nurture future leaders by offering exceptional graduates and professionals from developing and emerging economies a unique opportunity: fully-funded graduate studies at the University of Oxford, coupled with an extensive program focusing on leadership development, long-term mentoring, and networking.

Established in 2015 to celebrate Lord Weidenfeld's 95th birthday, this initiative received generous contributions from multiple donors. In June 2017, Trustee and Chairman André Hoffmann donated an additional £9 million, which, along with matched funding of £6 million from Oxford University, effectively doubled the size of the Oxford-Weidenfeld and Hoffmann Scholarships and Leadership Programme.

This scholarship is part of the broader Oxford Graduate Scholarships, created through a pioneering matching-funds effort to provide fully funded scholarships for outstanding graduate students worldwide. The University contributes 40% of the scholarship funds, with the remaining 60% generously donated by supporters of the Weidenfeld-Hoffmann Trust, including the Fondation Hoffmann.

The Leadership Programme is a distinctive component of these scholarships. Throughout the year, scholars engage in philosophical discussions, acquire essential business skills, and receive communication training in a supportive community. Further details about this program can be found on the Weidenfeld-Hoffmann Trust website.

Recipients of this scholarship will have their course fees covered entirely and receive a living costs grant of at least £18,622. Awards are granted to cover the entire duration of the course for which the fee liability is agreed.

Target group:

Students from transition and emerging economies throughout Africa, Asia, and South America:

Scholarship value/inclusions/duration.


To be considered for admission to an eligible Oxford course, you must meet the following criteria:

  1. Residency: You should be ordinarily residing in one of the eligible countries mentioned above.
  2. Intent to Return: You must have the intention to return to your country of ordinary residence after completing your course.
  3. Commitment to Global Service: Successful applicants are expected to display a genuine interest in serving the global community through their chosen field of work.
  4. Career Alignment: You should be capable of demonstrating a strong connection between your chosen field of study and your long-term career objectives. Explain how your professional pursuits will contribute to the enhancement of public life in your home country, or on a broader regional or international scale.


Application procedure:

To be eligible for the Weidenfeld-Hoffmann Scholarship and Leadership Programme, follow these steps:

  1. Choose the Weidenfeld-Hoffmann Scholarship and Leadership Programme in the Funding section of the University's graduate application form.
  2. Submit your application for graduate study by the respective course deadline, which is either 5th January or 19th January 2024.
  3. Complete the Weidenfeld-Hoffmann Scholarships Statement and upload it along with your graduate application form before the deadline.

For comprehensive application instructions, please visit the official website provided in the link below.

Official Scholarship Website:

Weidenfeld Hoffmann Trust Website:

Share this news