The Financial Express

Cabinet approves policy for proper use of HR development fund

| Updated: November 05, 2019 11:02:02

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina presiding over the weekly cabinet meeting at the Prime Minister’s Office in Dhaka on Monday. -Focus Bangla Photo Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina presiding over the weekly cabinet meeting at the Prime Minister’s Office in Dhaka on Monday. -Focus Bangla Photo

The Cabinet has approved the draft of the “National Human Resource Development Fund Usage Policy-2019” aimed at creating skilled manpower to accelerate the booming economy and meet the growing demand of competent workforces.

The approval came from a weekly cabinet meeting with Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in the chair at the Prime Minister’s Office in Dhaka on Monday, reports BSS.

The cabinet approved the draft to create skilled manpower considering its growing demand in the local and international arena and to accelerate the booming economy,” Cabinet Secretary Khandker Anwarul Islam in his maiden briefing told newsmen at the Secretariat after the meeting.

PM’s Principal Secretary Md Nojibur Rahman placed the policy before the cabinet, the cabinet secretary said.

“If the fund is properly used a huge number of people will be turned into skilled manpower which will increase their (manpower) export and thus help us achieve the sustainable development goals (SDGs),” he said.

The Finance Division has already established a bank named “National Human Resource Development Fund Bank” to oversee the allocation of fund among the public and private organisations, he said.

The top bureaucrat said, “National Skills Development Authority and concerned skill development organisations will finalise the applications for allocation from the fund through scrutinisation of skills development related programme such as training, research, survey and innovation in line with the policy.”

“People of various sectors will get necessary training free of cost under the policy,” he said, adding that as many as 23 ministries have been working to this end.

The cabinet also approved the ratification proposal of an agreement signed between Bangladesh and Nepal for avoiding double taxation on income and preventing tax evasion.

“Both the countries will be benefited due to the agreement,” the cabinet secretary said.

The cabinet was apprised of the Prime Minister’s participation in the 18th NAM summit held in Baku, the capital city of Azerbaijan, on October 25 and 26.

A report regarding implementation of the cabinet division’s decision of the last three months (July-October 2019) has been placed before the cabinet meeting, said Islam.

According to the report, as many as 58.50 per cent of the decisions taken by the cabinet in the last three months have been implemented, while implementation of the remaining 41.50 per cent decisions is underway.

The cabinet took 53 decisions during the period and 31 of those have been implemented.

The cabinet was also apprised of the India visit of Information Minister Dr Hasan Mahmud from September 14 to 18.

Share if you like