Case filed against 25 people over lynching of two brothers in Narsingdi
Published :
Updated :
The mother of two brothers beaten to death after protesting the “mob lynching” of a suspected thief in Narsingdi has filed a case against 25 people over the incident.
Rabeya Begum, the mother of Sakib Mia, 20, and Rakib Mia, 25, initiated the case with Palash police, OC Monir Hossain said.
Pavel of Bagdi village has been named as the prime suspect alongside 25 other named individuals and 10-12 unidentified people.
On the morning of Eid-ul-Fitr, a man identified by a single name - Himel - from the victims’ village Kortetoil, was beaten by a group of people in the neighbouring Bagdi village on suspicion of theft.
Later that evening, Rakib, Sakib and some others, went to Bagdi to protest the attack. A heated argument broke out, which escalated into a mob beating, leaving the two brothers critically injured. They later died on their way to the hospital.
The parents of the victims also suffered injuries while trying to save their sons.
OC Monir said the bodies of the two brothers had been handed over to the family after an autopsy at Narsingdi Sadar Hospital on Tuesday evening.
The funeral and last rites of the brothers were performed at the family graveyard in Kortetoil later at night.
Police have already arrested three people in connection with the murder. An operation is underway to arrest the other accused, the OC said.
Police have also been deployed in the villages to maintain law and order, he added.