National
2 days ago

'EC hastily issued gazette to avoid responsibility'

Accuses Badiul Alam Majumder

Published :

Updated :

Shushashoner Jonno Nagorik (SHUJAN) Secretary Badiul Alam Majumder has accused the Election Commission (EC) of hurriedly publishing the gazette of winners of the 13th Jatiya Sangsad election at midnight to avoid accountability.

He made the accusation while speaking at a press conference titled 'analysis of information in affidavits of newly-elected members of parliament' organised by SHUJAN at the Jatiya Press Club in the capital on Thursday.

On the issue of loan defaulters, he said many of the elected candidates are loan defaulters. Some, however, have obtained stay orders from the court. Additionally, many were allowed to contest despite being dual citizens without submitting the required documents.

"We had recommended, on behalf of the Electoral Reforms Commission, that candidates repay their loans six months prior to the elections and that habitual defaulters not be nominated. But these recommendations were ignored in the RPO ordinance," he stated.

The main findings of the analysis were presented by SHUJAN's Chief Coordinator Dilip Kumar Sarkar.

According to the analysis, out of 297 members of parliament, 147 are borrowers (49.49 per cent). Of these borrowers, a majority -- 126 (85.71 per cent ) -- are associated with the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP).

Majumder said, "The court has given a clear verdict that the Election Commission's decision on finalising candidacy is final. Citizens want to know if the court interfered in this process, except in cases of coram non judice or malice in law."

"This time, the Election Commission hastily issued the Gazette at midnight. We had recommended, on behalf of the Electoral Reforms Commission, that the Election Commission certify the election within 48 hours, but our recommendation was not included in the RPO," said the election expert.

He added that under the RPO, candidates are required to submit last year's income tax return along with their affidavit, but many failed to do so.

"We hope the Election Commission will investigate the allegations raised in the affidavits in accordance with the RPO and take appropriate action," he demanded.

srafsanju@gmail.com

Share this news