A 35-year-old man and his mother died of electrocution while he was switching on an irrigation pump in Balidara village of the district's Ranishankoil upazila on Friday.
The deceased were identified as Abdul Kader and his mother Afroza Begum, 60, wife of Manu Mia.
Kader received a massive electric shock as he attempted to switch on the irrigation pump in the evening, said Jamirul Islam, chairman of number 8 Nandua union parishad.
In the meantime, Afroza went to their farmland and fell victim to the electric shock while trying to rescue her son.
Later, local people alerted the cops who sent the bodies to hospital. "We rushed to the spot immediately after getting information," said SM Zahid Iqbal, officer-in-charge of Ranishankoil police station, reports UNB.