Teachers and employees of non-MPO educational institutions called off their hunger strike on Wednesday.
They took the decision after getting government's assurance to fulfil the demand of enlisting their institutions under the Monthly Pay Order (MPO) scheme, reports UNB.
National Professor Anisuzzaman and Advisor to a Caretaker Government Rasheda K Chowdhury went to the teachers in front of the Jatiya Press Club around 3:30 pm and offered them water to break the hunger strike, reports UNB.
Prof Anisuzzaman said, "Prime Minister came up with an announcement over the demand of the teachers at Parliament recently. Hopefully the problem will be resolved quickly."
On July 4, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina told Parliament that the government will take a scheme soon to bring educational institutions under the Monthly Pay Order (MPO) following a recently formulated policy.
Meanwhile, Binoy Bhusan Roy, general secretary of 'Non-MPO Educational Institutions Teachers' and Employees' Federation' said, "In the morning five representatives of the protesting teachers met the Education Minister."
The education minister assured of granting our demand and said already the Education Ministry has started discussion with the Finance Ministry over the issue, he said.
Earlier on June 25, teachers and employees of non-MPO educational institutions went on an indefinite hunger strike under the banner of 'Non-MPO Educational Institutions Teachers' and Employees' Federation'in front of the Jatiya Press Club.
On June 22, they also submitted a memorandum to the President.
On December 31, 2017, teachers and employees of non-MPO educational institutions had started observing hunger strike unto death to press for their demand and ended the strike on January 5 last after getting Prime Minister's assurance of meeting their demand.
As there was no specific budget allocation for the 2018-2019 fiscal year in this regard, they started their demonstrations for the second round.
© 2017 - All Rights with The Financial Express