Sci-Tech
4 days ago

Elon Musk's xAI sues Apple and OpenAI over AI competition, App Store rankings

OpenAI logo is seen in this illustration taken May 20, 2024.
OpenAI logo is seen in this illustration taken May 20, 2024. Photo : REUTERS/Dado Ruvic

Published :

Updated :

Billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk’s artificial intelligence startup xAI sued Apple and ChatGPT maker OpenAI in US federal court in Texas on Monday, accusing them of illegally conspiring to thwart competition for artificial intelligence.

Apple and OpenAI have "locked up markets to maintain their monopolies and prevent innovators like X and xAI from competing," the lawsuit said.

The complaint said Apple and OpenAI conspired to suppress xAI's products, including on the Apple App Store. "If not for its exclusive deal with OpenAI, Apple would have no reason to refrain from more prominently featuring the X app and the Grok app in its App Store," xAI said.

Apple and OpenAI did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Earlier this month, Musk threatened to sue Cupertino, California-based Apple, saying in a post on his social media platform X that Apple's behavior "makes it impossible for any AI company besides OpenAI to reach #1 in the App Store.”

Apple’s partnership with OpenAI has integrated its AI platform ChatGPT into iPhones, iPads and Macs.

Musk's xAI acquired X in March for $33 billion to enhance its chatbot training capabilities. Musk also has integrated the Grok chatbot into vehicles made by his electric automobile company Tesla.

Musk's xAI was launched less than two years ago and competes with Microsoft-backed OpenAI as well as with Chinese startup DeepSeek.

Musk is separately suing OpenAI and its chief executive Sam Altman in federal court in California to stop its conversion from a nonprofit to a for-profit business. Musk cofounded OpenAI with Altman in 2015 as a nonprofit.

Apple’s App Store practices have been the focus of multiple lawsuits. In one ongoing case by “Fortnite” video game maker Epic Games, a judge ordered Apple to allow greater competition for app payment options.

July Uprising monument obscures Ali Amjad Clock in Sylhet as city authorities defend decision

A plan to erect a memorial for the July Uprising martyrs beside Sylhet’s historic Ali Amjad Clock tower has stirred sharp criticism, with residents and heritage activists warning it undermines one of the city’s oldest landmarks.

The Sylhet City Corporation is implementing the project under a government initiative to build “street memory stamps” at sites where protesters were killed.

Four monuments are being constructed in the city, each costing Tk 108,375. Two are being set up near the clock tower to commemorate martyrs Pabel Ahmed Kamrul and Pankaj Kumar Kar, who were killed nearby.

City officials said a committee of the district administrator, investigators, police, and public works representatives selected the sites, arguing they could not build in the middle of roads where deaths occurred.

“The decision was made to ensure safety and accessibility. This will also enhance the clock tower’s protection,” said city corporation Chief Executive Officer Md Rezai Rafine Sorkar.

But critics disagreed. Former MP Nawab Ali Abbas Khan, grandson of Ali Amjad Khan who built the tower in 1874, condemned the move as an affront to Sylhet’s heritage. “This is not just our family’s, it belongs to Sylhet. The construction has hurt public sentiment. Why build it here? It is being done to obscure the clock and erase heritage,” he said.

Abdul Karim Chowdhury Kim of the Environment and Heritage Protection Trust called the project a violation of preservation laws.

“Ali Amjad Clock is a proud symbol of Sylhet. Erecting a monument within its compound is inconsistent with its structure, beauty and historical value,” he said, adding that his group had lodged formal objections.

Cultural groups also urged greater sensitivity. “Building a memorial for July’s martyrs is noble, but couldn’t it be done more thoughtfully?” wrote Shamsul Basit Shero of Sammilito Natya Parishad.

Sylhet Deputy Commissioner Md Sarwar Alam visited the site and promised action after reviewing concerns.

Share this news