Former world number one Andy Murray says he will not play singles at the US Open later this month, reports BBC.
On Monday Murray played his first singles match since career-saving hip surgery in January - a 6-4 6-4 loss to France’s Richard Gasquet in Cincinnati.
However, he had been asked to make a decision on accepting a wildcard for the US Open prior to facing Gasquet.
“I didn’t feel I was able to make that decision before today’s match,” said Murray, 32.
The Briton says he intends to play doubles and mixed doubles at the Grand Slam in New York, which starts on 26 August.
The three-time Grand Slam winner broke down in tears at January’s Australian Open, fearing his career might be over. He believed surgery on his long-standing hip injury may end his chances of playing singles but has instead left him pain free and able to resume his career.
Murray consistently said he would not want his first tournament back to be over five sets at the US Open and playing over three in Cincinnati first left the door ajar for a potential follow-up appearance at Flushing Meadows.
The 2012 US Open champion, now ranked 324th in the world, could have used his injury-projected ranking to enter the Grand Slam but instead decided to wait until nearer the time to assess his fitness.
© 2017 - All Rights with The Financial Express