After attacks, MSF suspends treatment at Congo Ebola centre

Published: March 01, 2019 10:15:57 | Updated: March 03, 2019 13:15:24


Burned structures are seen after attackers set fire to an Ebola treatment center run by Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) in the east Congolese town of Katwa, Democratic Republic of Congo on Monday — MSF handout via Reuters

Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) has suspended medical activities at the epicentre of an Ebola epidemic in Democratic Republic of Congo after two of its facilities were torched by unidentified assailants, the French charity said on Thursday.

Two MSF facilities treating Ebola patients in North Kivu province were attacked in separate incidents earlier this week. Aid workers have faced mistrust in some areas as they work to contain the Ebola outbreak, which has become the worst in Congo’s history, reports Reuters.

“In light of these two violent incidents, we have no choice but to suspend our activities until further notice,” MSF Emergency Desk Manager Hugues Robert said in a statement.

The current Ebola outbreak, first declared last August, is believed to have killed at least 553 people so far and infected over 300 more.

Share if you like