Barcelona attacks: Hunt for key suspect extended across Europe

Published: August 21, 2017 08:31:35 | Updated: October 22, 2017 00:21:00


A police officer mans a cordon after the van attack in Barcelona. - Reuters file photo

The hunt for the driver who killed 13 people in last week's attack in Barcelona has been extended across Europe, Catalan officials said on Monday.

 

Police say they have now confirmed the driver's identity, but would not reveal his name, reports BBC.

 

But Catalan official Joaquim Forn told local radio: "Everything suggests the van driver is Younes Abouyaaqoub".

 

Authorities say they cannot rule out the possibility that he has slipped across the border to France.

 

Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack, in which a van travelling at high-speed drove through crowds of tourists and local people walking along Las Ramblas, leaving a trail of dead and 120 injured from 34 countries; according to Reuters.

Share if you like