European human rights court rejects mass murderer Breivik’s appeal

Published: June 21, 2018 14:40:13 | Updated: June 22, 2018 20:55:48


Anders Behring Breivik raises his right hand during the appeal case in Borgarting Court of Appeal at Telemark prison in Skien, Norway, 10 January 2017. NTB Scanpix/Lise Aaserud via Reuters.

The European Court of Human Rights rejected an appeal by Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik who says his prison condition amount to inhuman or degrading treatment, the court said on Thursday.

“The Strasbourg Court found that its examination of the case did not reveal any violations of the Convention, and rejected the application as inadmissible for being manifestly ill-founded,” the court said in a statement on its website.

Breivik, who has legally changed his name to Fjotolf Hansen, killed 77 people in a car bomb in central Oslo and a shooting spree on Utoeya island in 2011, in the worst act of violence in the Nordic country since World War Two, reports Reuters.

Breivik had been seeking to overturn a March 2017 decision by a Norwegian appeals court that ruled that his near-isolation in a three-room cell respected human rights.

Share if you like