Libya to return bodies of 20 beheaded Egyptians

Published: May 14, 2018 12:43:44 | Updated: May 17, 2018 12:23:26


This image made from a video released on February 15, 2015, by militants in Libya claiming loyalty to the Islamic State group purportedly shows Egyptian Coptic Christians in orange jumpsuits being led along a beach, each accompanied by a masked militant before the men are simultaneously beheaded - AP file photo

Libya will return to Egypt on Monday the bodies of 20 Egyptian Christians killed in 2015 by Islamic State in its former Libyan stronghold of Sirte, a Libyan security official said.

The bodies were recovered in October after the area where they were buried was recaptured from the jihadist group, according to a Reuters report.

The Coptic Christians were beheaded on a beach in February 2015 wearing orange jumpsuits, according to a video posted by Islamic State.

Their bodies will be flown from the western city of Misrata to Egypt, a Libyan official said, adding that one victim was from Ghana.

Islamic State took control of Sirte in 2015 and lost the city late last year to local forces backed by US air strikes.

Share if you like