Mumbai building collapse death toll rises to 17

FE Online Desk | Published: July 26, 2017 11:38:48 | Updated: October 20, 2017 13:50:36


The death toll in the collapse of a building in Mumbai city has reached 17 as Indian authorities have ordered an investigation.

 

Some 28 survivors have so far been pulled from the rubble of Tuesday's disaster, some with serious injuries, reports BBC.

 

The four-storey residential building was used as a nursing home but it was being renovated at the time.

 

The owner of the nursing home has been arrested for allegedly making "structural changes to the building," Mumbai municipality official said.

 

The official said the rescue operation would continue until Wednesday evening. It is not clear whether any more people are trapped in the debris.

 

Building accidents are not uncommon in India, particularly during the monsoon season. Poor construction standards are often to blame.

Share if you like