Loading...
The Financial Express

Senior Trump aide quits amid abuse allegations

| Updated: February 09, 2018 13:11:07


Then-White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus, right, watches as White House Staff Secretary Rob Porter, centre, hands President Donald Trump a confirmation order in the Oval Office of the White House, in Washington, Jan 20, 2017. (AP) Then-White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus, right, watches as White House Staff Secretary Rob Porter, centre, hands President Donald Trump a confirmation order in the Oval Office of the White House, in Washington, Jan 20, 2017. (AP)

US White House staff secretary Rob Porter said he would resign following accusations of domestic abuse from two former wives.

On Wednesday, he did not clarify when his resignation would be effective.

Porter, a senior adviser who is in charge of much of the documentation that goes to President Donald Trump for his signature, announced his resignation in a statement after his former wives made accusations against him in published reports.

The accusations were first reported in the Daily Mail and include accounts of physical and emotional abuse, according to the BBC.

His ex-wives, Colbie Holderness and Jennifer Willoughby, both recounted stories of Porter's alleged misconduct.

His first spouse, Holderness, said the White House aide had been verbally and physically abusive.

Holderness, a US government analyst, said Porter had kicked her on their 2003 honeymoon in the Canary Islands.

She also alleged he punched her in the face while they were on holiday a couple of years later in Florence, Italy.

“These outrageous allegations are simply false,” Porter said in a statement released by the White House denying all the accusations.

“I have been transparent and truthful about these vile claims, but I will not further engage publicly with a coordinated smear campaign.”

Porter said he would “seek to ensure a smooth transition when I leave the White House.”

The accusations against Porter were a surprise to many at the White House, who have seen the lanky aide as a mild-mannered, easy-going adviser, says a Reuters report.

Porter had not yet been approved for a security clearance. White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said issues related to an individual’s suitability are reviewed through a thorough and lengthy background check process.

“Background checks involve a complex investigation run by intelligence and law enforcement agencies. As has always been our policy, we do not comment on security clearances. Rob Porter has been effective in his role as Staff Secretary. The President and Chief of Staff (John Kelly) have full confidence in his abilities and his performance,” she said.

Share if you like