A third-year female student of the Faculty of Animal Husbandry of Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU) got molested by a CNG autorickshaw driver. Classmates of the victim have made 6 points demand to protest.
On Sunday (February 11), the 3rd year students of the Animal Husbandry Faculty boycotted classes and examinations in the morning and protested to demand justice for the victim. The students took out a procession from the Faculty of Animal Husbandry, went to the administrative building, and took a stand there. They closed the gate of the administrative building.
The victim's classmates said that on February 10, the victim wanted to take a practical class at noon at Shahjalal Fodder Field Laboratory of the university. Around that time, a 20-25-year-old CNG-driven autorickshaw driver touched her body from behind and tried to lift her into the vehicle. This incident occurred while going along the road adjacent to the residential area of the Bangladesh Institute of Nuclear Agriculture (BINA). When the victim student screamed, the CNG turned around and ran away.
Protesting against the incident, the students made 6-point demands. The demands are:
1. The CNG driver should be immediately identified and brought to justice.
2. The movement of outsiders should be controlled.
3. CCTV should cover every university place, and adequate lighting should be ensured in every campus place.
4. The movement of rickshaws and autos with specific uniforms and registration numbers of the university should be ensured.
5. Proper accountability of the security department should be ensured;
6. The number of security personnel should be increased.
Director of the Security Council, Professor Dr. Muhammad Rafiqul Islam, "The security wing has been trying to find the accused since the incident came to light. We have also taken legal aid. I hope the accused will be brought to justice soon."
The proctor of the university, Azharul Islam, said, "The CNG rickshaw number had been collected from CCTV footage. All concerned security departments have been informed. A general diary has also been made from the Security Branch to the Kotwali Model Police Station."