Home adviser describes law-and-order situation as ‘satisfactory’
Countrywide combined patrols to begin tonight
Published :
Updated :
Home Affairs Adviser Jahangir Alam Chowdhury has described the law-and-order situation in the country as “satisfactory”, but says there is room for improvement.
The adviser spoke to the media on Monday afternoon after a core committee meeting of the Ministry of Home Affairs, reports bdnews24.com.
He said that in the last 53 years of independence, no media outlet has written that the law-and-order situation in Bangladesh is good.
"Before this, it might have taken two days to learn about the Banasree incident. But now everyone knows about it immediately. That's why we think that there has been a major change in the law-and-order situation. Such minor incidents have happened before, and this happened just a day or two ago. We have discussed what measures can be taken to prevent such incidents from happening in the future. We don't want even a single such incident to happen."
When asked what instructions have been given to law enforcers, the adviser said, "You will see tonight that their activities have increased a lot."
Asked why there had been demands for his resignation despite the satisfactory state of law and order, the adviser said: "You are just talking of my resignation. Since taking up the job in the Ministry of Home Affairs, my funeral has been held and I’ve even been buried. I have received the blessings of experiencing my funeral while I was alive!"
A reporter asked why a 3am press conference was necessary for the home adviser if the law-and-order situation was so satisfactory. Jahangir said: "Under previous regimes, none of you would have been found at this time of night. But now, you have all come within half an hour. Since we know that you are all working day and night, I also want to make it clear that we are also following the same rhythm and working day and night ourselves. To let you know that the home affairs adviser not only works during the day, but also briefs at night if necessary."
Responding to a journalist's question about police are truly active, the adviser said: "You have to be the one to tell me whether the situation is better than how I found it. However, there is room for them to be more active."
Asked whether recent incidents of crime were calling Operation Devil Hunt into question, Jahangir said:
"Operation Devil Hunt was conducted so that quick action could be taken in such incidents. We arrested three people immediately after the incident in Rajshahi. And we have brought the OCs [officers-in-charge] who delayed taking the case to book. We have suspended them. At another time it would not have happened so quickly. Based on your reports, we are also bringing many senior police officers to justice."
According to UNB, the adviser said the government will deploy combined patrol teams across the country from Monday night in a bid to curb crime and strengthen public security.
He said law enforcement agencies will ramp up their activities as incidents of mugging and robbery have surged in different parts of the country, including the capital.
Jahangir Alam said minor incidents always occur, including in recent days, but discussions were held on preventive measures to ensure they do not happen in the future. "We do not want a single such incident to take place," he added.
When asked about directives given to law enforcement agencies, he said, "You will see their increased activities from tonight."
Regarding public concerns over safety, he said, "We held today's meeting to reassure the public. Law enforcement agencies have been given specific instructions to start their intensified operations from this evening, and people will feel the difference right away."