Loading...

Maduro expels US diplomats in response to latest sanctions

Published: May 23, 2018 11:19:39 | Updated: May 24, 2018 19:09:14


Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro gestures while he talks to the media during a news conference at Miraflores Palace in Caracas, Venezuela October 17, 2017. Reuters.

Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro ordered the expulsion of two top US diplomats in Caracas in retaliation for a new round of sanctions over the county’s widely-condemned election, accusing them of a ‘conspiracy’ that was denied by the State Department.

The United States, European Union and most major Latin American nations have all said Sunday’s vote did not meet democratic standards, reports Reuters.

Maduro, the 55-year-old successor to Hugo Chavez, won re-election easily, but critics said the vote was riddled with irregularities, from the barring of two popular opposition rivals to the offering of a government ‘prize’ to voters.

President Donald Trump responded on Monday with an executive order limiting Venezuela’s ability to sell state assets.

Accusing US charge d’affaires Todd Robinson of being involved in ‘a military conspiracy,’ Maduro on Tuesday ordered him and another senior diplomat, Brian Naranjo, to leave within 48 hours.

He gave no details of the accusations, but said the US Embassy had been meddling in military, economic and political issues, and vowed to present evidence shortly.

“Neither with conspiracies nor with sanctions will you hold Venezuela back,” Maduro said, at an event in downtown Caracas at the headquarters of the election board.

The US State Department rejected Maduro’s ‘false allegations’ against the two diplomats, spokeswoman Heather Nauert said at a news briefing in Washington.

Robinson gave a brief speech at a public appearance on Tuesday afternoon in Venezuela’s western city of Merida.

“We energetically reject the accusations against me and against Brian Naranjo,” said Robinson, in comments streamed live on Facebook by local media.

“This was my first visit to Merida, but it will not be my last,” added Robinson, who assumed the charge d’affaires role in December.

In an interview on Tuesday, Venezuela’s Trade Minister Jose Vielma said the latest round of sanctions would have a ‘more serious’ impact on the country’s financial system.

Previous sanctions were limited to assets linked to individual Maduro administration members.

The executive order prohibits US citizens from being involved in sales of Venezuela’s pending invoices related to oil and other assets, though Vielma said shipments of fuel and crude to the United States would continue.

It appears to target in part Citgo , a US-based oil refiner owned by Venezuela state oil company PDVSA. More obstacles to PDVSA’s ability to sell oil abroad could restrict already-dwindling foreign exchange earnings, worsening the economic crisis and pressuring Maduro.

Share if you like