The World Health Organisation (WHO) fears outbreaks of infectious diseases due to dirty water and people fleeing fighting nearing Tripoli, where it has about two weeks of emergency supplies for hospitals and health facilities.
Dr Syed Jaffar Hussain, WHO representative in Libya, came up with the statement at a Geneva news briefing by telephone from Tripoli on Friday, reports Reuters.
The WHO representative said 75 people have been killed and 323 wounded, including seven civilians killed and 10 wounded, after a week of fighting.
The organisation has delivered trauma kits and medicines to hospitals, he said, adding: “These supplies will last for two weeks, the acute phase.” So far 6,000 have fled the fighting but WHO has contingency plans in case “thousands if not hundreds of thousands” are displaced in the acute phase of fighting.
© 2017 - All Rights with The Financial Express